The DWG file format is one of the most common design formats and is used and found in nearly any design environment. DWG is the AutoCAD file format and is used internally by Autodesk in AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor etc. as well as 1000s of 3rd party applications. The RealDWG SDK offers full access to all 2D and 3D data including the Design, Geometry, Structure, Text and Metadata.
RealDWG is the World’s #1 DWG file access SDK that will enable you to get to market faster whilst still maintaining fast, accurate DWG/DXF file access. The native DWG file SDK will enable your application and end-users to easily share their design data. Create a standalone application with full DWG/DXF compatibility without any dependency on AutoCAD or other verticals.
- 100% accuracy with the proprietary DWG format
- Never out of date. Always supports the latest DWG version
- Create a standalone DWG compatible product
- Work in your programming language
- Support the de facto CAD file format
- Create content that will be compatible with AutoCAD and other DWG capable products
- Gain compatibility with 1000s of other DWG products
- Supports Autodesk and 3rd party custom objects
- Same release cycle as AutoCAD and its verticals
- Royalty free distribution model
- Final product has no dependency on AutoCAD software
- Read, write and access all DWG and DXF files
- Backwards compatible with previous versions back to release R14
- Read files in and save out in any supported format
- The SDK comes with a C++ API as well as a managed (.NET framework) API
- Uses AutoCAD core technology
- Produces TrustedDWG compliant DWG files
- Supports both 32bit and 64bit systems
- Support for 12 spoken languages
- Supports native and 3rd party object enablers
- Resolves external references (xrefs)
- RealDWG is a subset of the ObjectARX SDK. ObjectARX is the AutoCAD SDK
The RealDWG toolkit provides the native Autodesk read/write libraries for reading genuine DWG files generated by Autodesk products or for generating files that can be read by Autodesk products.
To find out more about the RealDWG toolkit, please see the FAQ below and watch the video on the Introduction to RealDWG programming the link below.
1. What is RealDWG?
The RealDWG® developer toolkit is a software library that allows C++ and .NET developers to read and write AutoCAD® software DWG™ and DXF™ files.
2. How do I license RealDWG?
RealDWG is licensed as a software development kit (SDK) exclusively from our partners, Tech Soft 3D. To obtain a copy of the RealDWG software development kit (SDK), developers need to download a copy of the license application from our website and fill it out and return to us or contact us via email.
3. What is the difference between RealDWG and ObjectARX for AutoCAD?
RealDWG is a subset of ObjectARX and contains the APIs for reading and writing AutoCAD DWG and DXF files. RealDWG does not contain support for viewing and access to the AutoCAD user interface.
Also, ObjectARX applications always require AutoCAD as their host application. RealDWG does not require the presence of AutoCAD software. RealDWG is used to create host applications, but ObjectARX is not.
4. Is developer support or training available for RealDWG?
Developer support for RealDWG is available through the Autodesk Developer Network (ADN).
5.Do I have to rebuild my applications that are built with earlier versions of RealDWG?
Applications developed with RealDWG 2013 – 2017 can read and write DWG and DXF files for AutoCAD 2013 – 2017 products. Earlier versions are unable to do so. In order to read and write DWG and DXF files for AutoCAD 2018 products, you must rebuild your application with RealDWG 2018.
6. Is RealDWG available for 64-bit operating systems?
Yes, RealDWG is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. However, deployment of 32-bit applications on a 64-bit operating system is not supported.
7. Is there an evaluation version of RealDWG?
Not directly, but using the ObjectARX SDK, it is possible to do a “proof-of-concept” to validate the intended behaviour. As RealDWG is a subset of ObjectARX you need to make sure critical features are kept within the RealDWG parts of the API:
1. Managed code (.NET)
You’ll be using the managed API of ObjectARX. The ObjectARX features that are specific to RealDWG only, can be found in the namespaces of the AcDbMgd.dll:
However, you need to make sure no critical calls are made to the AcCoreMgd.dll, which contains overlapping namespaces ‘GraphicsSystem’ and ‘Runtime’ (the dll is not part of RealDWG):
Additional dll’s in ObjectARX that are also available in RealDWG:
2. Native code (C++)
The ObjectARX functionality that is also available in RealDWG is restricted to these libraries:
from the utils folders
If you don’t have AutoCAD, you can download a 30-day trial version here.
Download and read about system requirements for the ObjectARX SDK here.
If you’re not familiar with ObjectARX programming, you can get started here. Also have a look at the sample projects that come with the SDK.
Got a question? Let one of our experts help you find the answerTalk to an expert